Monday, July 6, 2009

Smoked Salmon Spread

I LOVE Barefoot Contessa, but I will say she overdoes it on the smoked salmon recipes. I don't know if it is something people really enjoy in the Hamptons or what, but she really likes it. This is one of the only smoked salmon recipes of hers I've tried, and I've got to say it's pretty delicious. The only tweaking I did was to substitute chives for dill. Dill is one of those herbs you either love or hate, and I am not a fan. However, if you really love it, go ahead and dill it up. I think the spread is a great make ahead appetizer and goes well with hard crackers or bagel chips. Oh, and she recommends using Norwegian salmon, saying that it's drier and less salty than other smoked salmon. Of course, if you can't find Norwegian, I am sure another would be fine.

Smoked Salmon Spread

Ingredients

* 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
* 1/2 cup sour cream
* 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
* 1 tablespoon finely chopped chives (or dill, or parsley)
* 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish, drained
* 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
* 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 pound (4 ounces) smoked salmon, minced

Directions

Cream the cheese in an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment until just smooth. Add the sour cream, lemon juice, dill, horseradish, salt, and pepper, and mix. Add the smoked salmon and mix well. Chill and serve with crudites or crackers.

No comments:

Post a Comment