Thursday, February 5, 2009

Let's just call it Cheese Spread

So...I'll admit, when I first read the ingredients of this recipe, I wasn't sure I was going to like it. However, it came by recommendation of my good friend (and great cook) Amanda, so I knew it must be a keeper. It is a great appetizer to serve with Pepperidge Farm Wheat Crackers and can be made 2-3 days ahead.

Cheese Spread
3 cups grated sharp cheddar (2 12 oz pkgs or fresh)
3-4 green onions, chopped (tops and all)
1 c. chopped toasted pecans (toast 20 mins @ 275, stirring halfway)
1/2 c mayo
1 small jar Smuckers strawberry preserves
Fresh Strawberries

Spray a ring mold with Pam (do not use metal) or you can free form the cheese mixture on an attractive platter.
Mix cheese, onions, pecans, mayo. Pour mixture into mold or form it on a platter.
Refrigerate overnight. Turn out on a cake stand or serving platter. Spread thickly with strawberry preserves. Fill the center of the ring with fresh strawberries. Use fresh parsley if berries are unavailable. Leave out one hour before serving.

1 comment:

  1. I made this for an "experimental" dinner party (all recipes were brand new), and everyone loved it. The sweet strawberries with the cheese make a great combination! I'll be trying the raspberry squares next . . .

    ReplyDelete