Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Ultimate Chocolate Birthday Cake

If you've been reading my blog for awhile now, you've probably read my mention of how I have a hard time repeating recipes. I guess since cooking is my creative outlet, trying something new makes it fun and interesting. However, I also believe that every good cook needs a repertoire of tried and true recipes and a good birthday cake should definitely be one of them. This recipe fits the bill. I actually found this recipe after buying a cookbook for a friend's wedding. My inability to resist thumbing through a fresh, new cookbook lead to me copying this recipe down. I have included some minor modifications and tips. I hope you use it at your next birthday party!

Chocolate Fudge Birthday Cake
1 box Duncan Hines double dark chocolate or devil's food cake mix
1 c. water
3 eggs
1/3 c. vegetable oil
1/3 c. sour cream
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. salt
1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter three 9-in round cake pans (can also do in a 9x13). Combine mix, water, eggs, oil, sour cream, vanilla, and salt in bowl of mixer. Beat on low speed until well blended. Increase speed to medium for 2 minutes. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour batter into pans and bake just until knife or toothpick comes out clean (22-25 minutes).** Transfer pans to wire racks and cool 10-15 minutes. Then remove from pans and cool completely on racks.

Icing:
2 c. (12 oz.) semi sweet chocolate chips
2 c. sugar
2/3 c. milk
2 sticks unsalted butter cut into pieces
1/4 t. salt
1 t. vanilla

Place chocolate chips in mixer. Meanwhile, combine sugar, milk, butter, and salt over high in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally. Let boil vigorously 1 minute. Pour hot mixture over chocolate chips. Add vanilla. Beat on medium until mixture thickens and is spreadable (this can sometimes take 10-15 mins).

*You may want to refrigerate cake after second layer so that it won't slide.
**If using 9x13, bake cake 28-30 mins.

1 comment: