Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Roasted Vegetables with Whole Wheat Rotini

Okay, so most of you probably realize the recipes on my blog are not in fact, my recipes. They are typically adapted from other recipes I find online or elsewhere. However, tonight I have something special for you: an original recipe by me. Not just that, but one that was good enough to share, or as I say "bloggable."

It started with these beautiful baby eggplants I found at Fresh Market the other day. $1.69 per pound was what the sign read. Too bad I read the wrong sign and ended up buying 5 eggplants for 8 dollars. Oops. I knew I must eat them soon and not let them go bad. I was in the mood for eggplant, which actually happens often. The dilemma was, however, that the only dish I know how to make with eggplants is eggplant parmigiana. And since I haven't had dairy in awhile I wanted to avoid the overload of cheese. After thinking for awhile, I decided to add my other favorite vegetable to the mix, zucchini, throw in some whole wheat rotini, a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes, a little Parm (just a little) and voila, a delicious original dish by me! It was met with positive reviews by my husband who commented that it tasted meaty even with no meat.

Hope you enjoy. Be sure to serve it with your favorite glass of red table wine and a little Italian bread.

Roasted Vegetables with Whole Wheat Rotini
Serves 2-3 as a main dish

Ingredients:
4-5 baby eggplants, peeled and cut into 3/4 in. chunks
3-4 zucchini, cut into 3/4 in. half moons
1/2 lb. rotini
1/4 c. grated Parmesan
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
reserved pasta water
dried basil and oregano to taste

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray cookie sheet with olive oil spray. Add zucchini and eggplant to cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Toss with hands to combine. Roast for 30 mins or until soft, flipping once during roasting.

Meanwhile, cook pasta al dente according to directions on box. Reserve 1/4 c. of leftover pasta water and add back to pasta in same pot. Add roasted vegetables, diced tomatoes, and cheese and stir to combine. If too much water is at the bottom, turn burner on low for a minute or two. Once desired consistency is reached, remove pot from burner and serve. Garnish with additional cheese if desired.

No comments:

Post a Comment